ActiveTime1 Hour Total 2 1/2 Hrs, plus 1 hour to overnight air-drying
Yield: Serves 6 to 8 (2 to 3 tacos per person)
Taco Tuesday doesn’t always have to revolve around ground beef. Trust us, once you see how easy it is to make homemade carnitas, this will be a meal prep move you come back to again and again. Braised Boston butt is the star of this taco spread, and once you set it to simmering in a mixture of fresh citrus juices, garlic, and spices—the work is done. Drizzled with a vibrantly smoky Chipotle Crema, the assembled carnitas tacos will be a surefire hit.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 pound bone-in pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 2-in. pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 24Flour or corn tortillas
- Toppings: thinly sliced red onions, thinly sliced radishes, sliced avocado, queso fresco, cilantro, lime wedges
How to Make It
Whisk together orange juice, lime juice, garlic, paprika, salt, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Add pork to marinade, and toss to coat all pieces; set aside to marinate 1 hour or refrigerate up to overnight.
Remove pork pieces, reserving marinade. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add pork in batches, and sear pieces until well browned. Add stock, onion, all seared pork pieces, and reserved marinade to Dutch oven. Cover, and cook over medium-low until pork is tender, and liquid is mostly reduced, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, and adobo sauce; set aside until ready to use. Using 2 forks, shred pork in Dutch oven. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, allowing shredded pork to crisp slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with warm tortillas, chipotle crema, and desired toppings.
Source: Read Full Article