Active time: 30 min.Total time: 30 min.
Yield: Serves 12 (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)
This Creamy White Chicken Chili is super easy to make—seriously, it only takes 30 minutes, and it’s manageable for beginner cooks. To make it even easier, you could even use a rotisserie chicken. It’s rich, packed with beans, vegetables, and chicken, and isn’t too spicy, but you can always add hot sauce or sliced fresh jalapeños to up the heat factory. Building flavor in one pot is the best way to make a soup or chili, and fortunately this chicken chili starts off extracting flavor and juice from the chicken. The result is a great layering of flavors: Even though this chili is decadent and creamy, there’s plenty of greens and bite from the poblanos, green onions, avocado, and cilantro. For added brightness, top with sliced red onions or radishes, or a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. Turn it into a comforting, filling meal with some tortilla chips, corn bread, salad, and lots of fresh toppings.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided2cups chopped yellow onion (from 1 large [1 lb.] onion)
- 1 cup chopped celery (from 3 medium stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped poblano chiles (from 2 large [5 oz.] chiles)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1(16-oz.) jar mild salsa verde (2 cups)4(16-oz.) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed (about 6 cups)
- 1(8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, cut into cubes
- Toppings: diced avocado, lime wedges, chopped red onion, sliced radishes, chopped fresh cilantro, and sliced jalapeño chiles
How to Make It
Melt butter with oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Toss together chicken, pepper, 1 tablespoon of the cumin, 1 teaspoon of the oregano, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a medium bowl until chicken is evenly coated. Add half the chicken to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, until chicken is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a bowl. Repeat with remaining half of uncooked chicken. Set browned chicken aside. Do not wipe Dutch oven clean.
Add onion, celery, poblanos, and remaining 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, over medium-high, until vegetables begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add chicken stock and salsa verde, stirring and scraping to loosen any browned bits from bottom and sides of Dutch oven. Stir in reserved browned chicken and any accumulated juices on plate, beans, and cream cheese cubes. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, until cream cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
Source: Read Full Article