Active Time: 15 MinsTotal Time1 Hour Chilling Time8 Hours
Yield: Serves 6
This indulgent brunch casserole is ideal for entertaining because it must be assembled and chilled eight hours in advance. In the morning, all you have to do is pop the dish in the oven and let it perfume your whole house as it bakes. A splash of bourbon enhances the maple syrup’s caramel sweetness, but you can omit the alcohol if you prefer. Whether you add bourbon or not, be sure to choose the good stuff: 100% pure maple syrup.
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans, divided
- 12(1-inch-thick) baguette slices (from 1 baguette, ends discarded)
- 5large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest plus 1 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz.) bourbon
- Powdered sugar, for serving
How to Make It
Stir together brown sugar, melted butter, and 1/4 cup of the maple syrup. Spread mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 3⁄4 cup of the pecans. Arrange baguette slices evenly on top.
Whisk together next 5 ingredients and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla. Pour over baguette slices. Cover; chill 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove baking dish from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and set, about 35 minutes.
During final 10 minutes of baking, combine bourbon and remaining 3/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla in a saucepan. Cook over low, stirring, until warm, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover pan.
Sprinkle casserole with powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 cup pecans. Serve with Bourbon-Maple Syrup.
Source: Read Full Article