Active time: 10 min. Total time:1 hour
Yield: Serves 24 (serving size: 1/2 cup)
Everyone’s favorite beach drink becomes crunchy in this snack mix filled with flavor: Sweet, rich coconut, tangy lime and pineapple, and saltiness. You’ll find dried fruit in the produce sections of most stores. We used large coconut flakes. Toss in the fat before you add salt and seasoning to ensure an even dispersal. This makes a lot, and will easily cut in half, but leftovers hold really well in a sealed bag. Serve with actual piña coladas, or your favorite beer.
- 6 cups (about 8 oz.) rice cereal squares (such as Rice Chex)
- 3 cups (about 6 oz.) unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3 cups (about 4 1/2 oz.) freeze-dried pineapple
- 2 cups (about 6 oz.) dehydrated banana chips
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1/4cup plus 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Stir together cereal, coconut flakes, pineapple, and banana in a large bowl. Add coconut oil and lime juice; toss until thoroughly coated. Add sugar and salt; toss to coat.
Divide mixture evenly between prepared baking sheets; spread in an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until coconut is toasted, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating baking sheets between top and bottom racks and stirring halfway through bake time. Let cool about 15 minutes. Store, covered, at room temperature up to 1 week.
Source: Read Full Article