Active time:30 min. Total time:1 hour
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 slice)
Our take on a Southern classic is super delicious, and kind of tastes like biscuit pizza—the biscuit is flaky and buttery with a fun cornmeal texture, and the tomatoes are tender and juicy without sogging out the crust. Mixing the mayonnaise and cheese together makes things feel even more Southern. Your local farmers’ market will have the most delightfully colorful tomatoes with the best flavor, so search there. For a crispier crust, invert a rimmed baking sheet, which will circulate more air underneath it. You can also reheat this in the oven without sacrificing any taste—just wrap it in foil first.
- 3 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 3/8 oz.) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (about 2 7/8 oz.) fine yellow cornmeal, divided, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz.) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-in. pieces, chilled
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk, chilled
- 4medium-sized (about 18 oz. total) ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4-in. thick
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°F. Stir together mozzarella, mayonnaise, chives, parsley, basil, mustard, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, 6 tablespoons of the cornmeal, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until pea-size crumbs form. Drizzle in buttermilk; gently stir until a sticky dough forms, about 1 minute. Knead once or twice to gather dough together.
Dust a 12- x 17-inch piece of parchment paper with cornmeal. Place dough on parchment paper, and pat into a 5-inch circle. Dust a rolling pin with flour, and roll dough into a 13-inch circle (about 1/4-inch thick). Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons cornmeal over dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Arrange tomatoes, overlapping, in a concentric circle over cornmeal. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; dollop evenly with mozzarella mixture. Fold dough border up and over tomato slices, pleating if necessary.
Transfer tart to a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and puffed, about 20 minutes. Let stand about 15 minutes; slice and serve.
Source: Read Full Article