"This is a wonderful Americanized version of an extremely popular Sichuan Chinese dish. With twice-fried chicken, you get the crispy fried breading you’d expect, and the bang bang sauce drizzle just makes the entire dish spectacular. You’ll love this more than any Chinese takeout version. Pay attention to the notes in the directions!!"
- Whisk together milk and egg in a bowl until smooth. Add chicken to egg wash and marinate for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Combine potato starch, flour, salt, pepper, and ground red pepper in a bowl and transfer into a large resealable bag. Add egg-washed chicken pieces and shake until each piece is completely dredged.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Add chicken pieces into the oil in batches, about 5 to 8 pieces at a time, so as not to drop the temperature of the oil. Fry for 90 seconds. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Fry remaining chicken pieces.
- Increase oil temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). The oil should be continuously boiling at this point. Carefully re-add the first batch of chicken and fry another 90 seconds. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Fry and drain the remaining chicken. Transfer chicken to a medium bowl.
- Stir mayonnaise, honey, sweet chili sauce, and gochujang together in a small bowl. Toss fried chicken with sauce to coat.
- Cook’s Notes:
- Potato starch is regularly used in Asian cuisine because it has a silkier feel and takes on a neutral flavor, but you can substitute cornstarch.
- You can use another hot sauce instead of gochujang and any ground red pepper other than togarashi.
- It’s really helpful to have a splatter screen if frying on the stovetop. The reason for twice-frying, or double-frying, is that it’s the secret to crispier fried chicken!
- Editorial Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 404 calories;20.8 g fat;27.3 g carbohydrates;26.7 g protein;112 mg cholesterol;546 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article