- Total: 2 hr 15 min
- Active: 1 hr
- Yield:12 fritters
- For the fritters: Combine the lukewarm milk, yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in a large glass measuring cup and stir to dissolve. Let sit until the mixture looks foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Place the flour, salt, orange zest, nutmeg and the remainder of the granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook and mix to combine.
- Combine the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture and egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together, about 3 minutes. Stop and scrape the bowl at least twice. Gradually add the softened butter. Stop and scrape the bowl and mix on medium speed for 6 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick baking spray. Place the dough in the greased bowl, cover and allow to proof in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Gently punch the dough down. Roll the dough out to a 12-by-18-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Spread the raspberry jam on top, spreading almost all the way to the edges. Sprinkle the fresh raspberries on half of the dough then fold the dough over. Cut the dough into 1/2-inch strips with a bench scraper, then cut the strips into 1/2-inch pieces in a crisscross pattern. Scoop up the pieces and rearrange them, then cut them again in a crisscross pattern.
- Flour your hands well and group the cut pieces into a log that is about 12 inches long and 3 inches wide. Generously flour 2 sheet pans. Cut the log into 12 pieces. Place the pieces on the floured sheet pans. Gently press each mound of dough into a flat round. Cover the pans with plastic wrap and allow the fritters to rise until puffy, 15 to 20 minutes (note that they should not double in size).
- For the glaze: Combine the confectioners’ sugar and 3 tablespoons of the freeze-dried raspberries in a food processor and pulse until the raspberries are powdered. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Add the milk and lemon juice. Whisk until incorporated. Set aside.
- Crush the remaining 2 tablespoons freeze-dried raspberries and set aside.
- When ready to fry, pour about 3 inches of oil into a medium Dutch oven or heavy pot and heat until it registers 350 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer. Carefully and gently place 3 to 4 fritters in the oil. Fry until deeply browned, 1 to 2 minutes, flipping the fritters a couple of times so they cook evenly.
- Remove the fritters with a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack to drain. Continue to fry the fritters, making sure the oil remains at 350 degrees F.
- Dip each fritter into the glaze while it’s still warm, coating the top and bottom. Place the dipped fritters on a wire rack to drain, then sprinkle with crushed freeze-dried raspberries. Allow the glaze to set before serving.
Source: Read Full Article