DIY instant noodles made with fresh ingredients. Just add boiling water, and you’ve got lunch. [Photograph: J. Kenji López-Alt. Video: Natalie Holt]
This pot of noodles, flavored with kimchi, mushrooms, and beef, can be made ahead and taken to work. Just add boiling water, seal it up for three minutes, add the contents of the fresh-scallion packet, and you’ve got a hot lunch ready.
Why It Works
- All the convenience of a package of instant noodles, but with better ingredients and better flavor.
- By keeping the scallions separate from the rest of the ingredients, you can stir them into the hot soup for bright, fresh, layered flavor.
- Beef jerky reconstitutes into meaty bites in boiling water, while also adding flavor to the broth.
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) high-quality beef base, such as Better Than Bouillon
- 2 cups kimchi with juices
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) chili-garlic sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 ounces (110g) beef jerky, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 4 small nests rice noodles or precooked ramen or Italian pasta (see note)
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
Divide beef base, kimchi, chili-garlic sauce, mushrooms, beef, and noodles between 4 resealable glass jars. Divide scallions between 4 small zipper-lock bags and seal bags, squeezing out all of the air. Tuck bags into jars and seal. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
When ready to serve, remove scallion packet and add boiling water to the top of the jar. Seal jar and let sit 2 minutes. Open jar, stir in scallions, and serve.
Source: Read Full Article