“This Beer Braised Short Ribs – Dutch Oven recipe will transform beef short ribs into the most tender, succulent, and richly flavored feast you could ever imagine. The depth of flavor is unbelievable.”
4 -5 lbsbeef short ribs (cut 2-3-inch wide)
1 largeyellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalkscelery, chopped
2 cupsbeef stock, divided
18 ouncesstout beer (I used Guinness)
2 tablespoonstomato paste
2 tablespoonsbrown sugar
1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add oil to dutch oven, set stovetop burner to medium-high heat and brown short ribs seasoned with salt and pepper on all sides. Work in batches if needed.
3. Remove short ribs from Dutch oven and set aside.
4. Add onions to Dutch oven and saute in remaining oil until tender and beginning to brown.
5. Add garlic, celery, and carrots and saute for five minutes longer.
6. Add tomato paste and sugar, cook for a minute longer.
7. Add 1 cup of stock to deglaze the dutch oven, scrapping all brown bits accumulated at the bottom of the pot, then add remaining liquid.
8. Return meat to the dutch oven and add remaining ingredients.
9. Bring stew to a simmer then place lid on dutch oven and braise in the oven for 2 – 2 1/2 hours. Meat should be exceptionally tender when finished cooking. Cook longer if still tough.
10. Taste for salt and adjust as need. This recipe really shines when properly salted.
11. The stew can be enjoyed right away, however, the flavors intensify if allowed to meld overnight. This is a great meal to make ahead. To reheat, place in a 350-degree oven for 1 – 1/2 hours.