- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Prep: 10 min
- Inactive: 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Yield:about 4 to 6 side dish servings
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/4 pounds Yellow Finn potatoes or other waxy-style potato
2 cups half-and-half
1 tablespoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rub the garlic around the inside of an 8 by 8 by 2-inch casserole dish and let it dry. Reserve the remaining garlic. Rub the butter around the inside of the dish. Reserve the remaining butter.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes on a mandoline or vegetable slicer (about 1/8-inch-thick slices).
- In a medium saucepan, combine the garlic, butter, potatoes, half-and-half, salt, pepper to taste, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish. Shake the pan so the potatoes are distributed evenly.
- Bake the potatoes, basting occasionally, until lightly browned and bubbly, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Source: Read Full Article