Active Time: 35 MINTotal Time35 MIN
Yield: Serves : 8
Fresh ingredients team up with store-bought shortcuts to get this comforting dinner on the table in just over 30 minutes. Frozen cheese tortellini only need a 5-minute dip in the simmering broth to cook up perfectly. Don’t be tempted to just dump the whole can of tomatoes into the pot; draining them first concentrates the flavor.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (from 1 large onion)
- 1 cup chopped celery (from 2 stalks)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups stemmed and thinly sliced lacinato kale (from 1 bunch)
- 1 (8-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
How to Make It
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven over high. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and 1 teaspoon salt, and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken; let rest 5 minutes. Cut chicken into cubes, and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and basil, and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add wine and tomato paste; bring to a boil, and reduce until liquid has almost evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in stock. Add tomatoes, using your hands to crush tomatoes over pot as you add them. Bring to a boil. Add chicken, kale, tortellini, remaining 1/4 cup oil, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Simmer until tortellini are al dente, about 5 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with Parmesan and additional basil.
Source: Read Full Article